Thursday, May 15, 2014

Splash Day

Hello, hello, everyone! I wanted to show you a fun way to create your own background using your favorite elements from the Gossamer Blue May kit (or any papers for that matter). The sunshiny papers reminded me of this photo of my little princess eating a Popsicle on a warm sunny day.
 
I tackled this project as if I was making a quilt.  I decided to create an offset chevron. To do so, I divided my 12x12 cardstock into 3 diagonal sections and cut along the lines.

 
Once I chose my photo, I selected about 8 or 9 different patterns from approximately 5 papers, which means I used A&B sides of many of the papers. I cut them in various widths. I didn't measure since I didn't want them to live up perfectly.
 
Now for the fun part...
 
I cut a triangle, using a triangle punch and placed that in the center of the right side of the middle section. Then, I placed 1 strip of pink flush to the edge of one side of the triangle and then another strip of pink flush to the edge of the other side of the triangle, allowing pinks to overlap. Then I repeated that with the blue.

I repeated that step until I got to the end. Once, everything was adhered down for the middle section, I trimmed the edges and started on the bottom section and onto the top section.


 
Next, I stitched over each side of the strips, like a quilt would. WARNING: this is very time consuming but I think the result is soo worth it. After I trimmed the thread, I adhered each section to another piece of cardstock/chipboard and then added small strips of paper to cover the seam.

 
I added the title above and below the top right seam...

 
And then layered papers and embellishments around my photo, adding a few more embellishments to the page along the seam. Since the quilt pattern was so busy, I was very selective on the amount and which embellishments to use.

 
So there you have it.

 
I am absolutely in LOVE with this page and I hope it inspires you to create a pattern paper background of some sort using your May kit.

Thanks for stopping by today!
 

6 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

Such a cool layout and wonderful tutorial. I pinned it! Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

Amazing layout! You made it look so easy!

Paige Taylor Evans said...

This is INCREDIBLE!!!

Diana Waite said...

seriously AWESOME!!

Jennifer Grace said...

This looks amazing, definitely worth all that hard work! The patterns look so pretty all together! x

Patricia Roebuck said...

So awesome!!